From staff reports
A fast-acting neighbor who saw smoke coming from an Orland Hills home Thursday, arrived at the scene with a fire extinguisher to find a stovetop burning and helped suppress the fire that could have gotten out of control and caused more damage, Orland firefighters said.
The Orland Fire Protection District arrived at the home located at 16964 S. 88th Avenue minutes later and extinguished the fire completely declaring the home safe, with some minor smoke damage confined to the kitchen.
“The public should always call 911 right away when there is any sign of a fie. This fire could have been far worse but the fast action of the neighbor at the earliest stage of the fire with a proper fire extinguisher helped prevent the fire from spreading further,” said OFPD Fire Chief Michael Schofield.
“When our firefighters arrived on the scene the neighbor’s action prevented the fire from becoming worse.”
Schofield said the fire district discourages civilians from entering any property that has a major fire in progress, but the kitchen fire was in its infancy and restricted to the stovetop and had not grown into a major fire.
Schofield urged homeowners to use a fire extinguisher, not water, to put out a grease or oil or stovetop fires.